Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Month O' Musicals: Anchors Aweigh


Vital Stats:
Year: 1945
Director: George Sidney
Stars: Frank Sinatra, Kathryn Grayson, Gene Kelly, Jose Iturbi and a very young Dean Stockwell as the runaway child

Summary:
Two sailors on leave ("when they give you leave, you gotta leave") try to help an aspiring singer get an audition at MGM.

Memorable Moments:
Frank Sinatra crooning "I Fall in Love Too Easily" and Gene Kelly dancing with the animated Jerry Mouse. ("Look at me, I'm dancing!")


What I love about it:
The above scenes are great, but I really love the bit where the boys try to scare off a would-be suitor of the girl they're both falling for by singing a funny version of "If You Knew Susie" (with altered lyrics like: "S is for sincerity, which she's got none of...")

No comments:

Post a Comment